My name is Melanie Mark, I am Nisga’a, Gitxsan, Ojibway and Cree and the proud mother of two girls. I am so honoured to have the opportunity to represent the riding I grew up in and to be your advocate in the BC Legislature. I believe my personal journey and professional experience is what’s needed for the uniquely caring, diverse and creative community of Vancouver Mount Pleasant.
I’ve been fighting for fairness and equality my entire life. My roots are spread throughout East Vancouver, with more than 30 moves in my life.
I fought for my brothers with relentless passion when they were in foster and I know that I bring that same passion to the Downtown Eastside, Strathcona, Mount Pleasant and Commercial Drive.
In my early years as an advocate I worked for Save the Children Canada, with the RCMP in Hazelton, the Urban Native Youth Association and Covenant House Vancouver; I was a Child and Youth Advocate, which led to my role as the Associate Deputy Representative responsible for Advocacy, Aboriginal and Community Relations and Youth Engagement with the children’s watchdog- Mary Ellen Turpel Lafond.
I have two lovely children; they are the most important people in my life and when I become the MLA for Mount Pleasant they will be my guiding light; my experiences growing up in East Van will be where I draw my warrior strength, and my career as an advocate will drive my passion to fight for the needs and rights of this dynamic community.
I have learned so much over the past year as the MLA for Vancouver Mount Pleasant. I am looking forward to continuing as your representative.
馬蘭妮與兒童及青少年專員杜佩拉芳(Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond)努力保護弱勢兒童,並孜孜不倦地為年青人爭取權益。
- Co-author, Facilitator, Urban Native Youth Association, Vancouver
- Coordinator, National Aboriginal Project, Save the Children Canada, Vancouver
- Researcher, Dr. Susan McIntyre, Vancouver, B.C.,
- Project Researcher, Justice Institute of BC, New Westminster
- Youth Worker, Covenant House Vancouver
- Associate Child & Youth Officer, Child and Youth Office for British Columbia
- Child & Youth Advocate, BC Representative for Children and Youth
- Associate Deputy Representative, Advocacy, Aboriginal, Community Relations & Youth Engagement BC Office of the Representative for Children & Youth